search index home contacts help

~Wellesley College To Dedicate New Athletic Fields~
Field Opening Marks End of Major Environmental Clean-up

For immediate release:
Oct. 24, 2002

CONTACT:
Mary Ann Hill,
781-283-2376


WELLESLEY, Mass. - On Friday, October 25, Wellesley College will dedicate four new athletic fields and a track, marking the end of the college's environmental clean-up of more than 30 acres of land. President Diana Chapman Walsh will be joined by members of the college's Board of Trustees, representatives of state governmental agencies, and local public officials for the brief ceremony, which will be followed by a walking tour of the area. After the ceremony, the path around Lake Waban, including a boardwalk over the reconstructed wetlands, will be reopened for the first time since construction began 19 months ago.

The College undertook the complex clean-up of the site in collaboration with the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection and several other public entities. Acquired by Wellesley College in 1932 and preserved as open space, the site was the location of the former Henry Wood's Sons paint pigment factory, which operated for some 80 years beginning in 1848. For many decades, no one knew the extent of the contamination that the paint factory had produced.

The dedication will take place on the new track and will run from 12:15 - 1:45 pm. Parking will be available behind the Wellesley College Distribution Center at 300 Central Street.

Founded in 1875, Wellesley College has been a leader in liberal arts and the education of women for more than 125 years. The College's 500-acre campus near Boston is home to 2,300 undergraduate students.

###

Return to the Office for Public Information Homepage

Return to the Wellesley College Homepage

search index home contacts help